Almost everyone who starts to develop skin problems has the same goal: to find the best skin care products that work for them. At first glance, this may seem like an easy task because there are many wonderful-looking products available to buy online and in stores everywhere. However, it can be very difficult to find a product that works for you and won’t damage your skin or leave your wallet feeling empty. If you are tired of wasting money on skincare products that don’t work and want to find the most effective skincare product for your specific skin type, keep in mind the following steps:
- Determine what kind of skin you have: The first step is to determine your skin type and note any conditions it may have. Your skin type will determine which kinds of products you can use on your skin and how often you should be using them. To find your skin type, gently wash your face with a mild cleanser and pat it dry with a clean towel. Wait fifteen minutes to allow the water from washing to completely evaporate from your skin before assessing which kind of skin you have. To check whether your skin is normal, slightly oily, or slightly dry, take a clean tissue and press it against your nose where it meets the bottom of your eye. If there is no oil or moisture on the tissue after taking it away from your skin, you have normal skin, which will not need any specific treatment.
- Choose an appropriate cleanser: Now that you know your skin type, it’s time to find the most effective skincare products. To find the best product for you, look for a mild cleanser that is pH balanced and made specifically for your skin type. If you have dry skin, it’s important to moisturize and cleanse your face twice daily with a mild facial cleanser that dermatologists have tested. If you have oily skin, be careful not to over-cleanse your skin as this can cause more oil production and damage the skin barrier. You should cleanse your skin once a day with a gentle cleanser that will not dry out or irritate your skin further.
- Choose a toner: Now that you have clean skin, it’s time to determine whether your skin needs toner. Toners are used after cleansing to help tighten the pores and remove any residue left behind from your cleanser or face wash. Most toners also contain antioxidants and other beneficial ingredients to help condition the skin and improve its texture. Toners are either astringent, which contains alcohol that will dry out your skin by closing the pores, or non-astringent, which means they don’t contain alcohol but are still used to remove any leftover residue following cleansing. To find an appropriate toner for your skin type, ask a dermatologist or skincare professional at your local drugstore for assistance in choosing the right toner for you.
- Choose a treatment: when purchasing skincare products from beauty stores such as Mielle, always remember that using an appropriate product for your skin type will improve its condition and texture while helping to reduce any blemishes that may appear. If your skin needs even more help, consider adding a treatment serum to your skincare regimen. Serums are packed with potent ingredients that have been shown to improve the signs of aging, reduce fine lines and wrinkles and help fight acne.
- Be patient: It may take a few weeks or months before you begin to see the full results of the products you bought from your preferred skincare brand, for instance, Colorescience. However, be patient and remember that regular use of quality products formulated for your skin type will produce positive results.
Your skincare products should be formulated for your skin type, contain ingredients for each step in your skincare regimen, and be dermatologist tested. If you follow these steps when shopping for the most effective skincare products, you will reduce the chances of wasting money on ineffective skincare products while also improving the health of your skin.